What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is a type of dentistry aimed at creating a positive change in the teeth and smile of the patient. This can include commonly known procedures like teeth whitening and veneers, but a cosmetic dentist can do much more. A skilled and experienced cosmetic dentist can improve the appearance of a patient’s smile. Cosmetic dentistry can improve their self-esteem and confidence, not just their smile. Cosmetic dentists can address both functional and esthetic concerns their patients have such as:
- Bleaching teeth to make them whiter
- Repairing chips or filling rough spots so they better match the tooth
- Filling cavities with tooth-colored materials for a minimal appearance
- Covering broken teeth with porcelain crowns
- Reshaping teeth that fail to match the patient’s other teeth
- Closing gaps that have formed between teeth
Over time, cosmetic dentistry has evolved from replacing and restoring damaged teeth to a wide range of esthetic procedures including dental implants, tooth whitening, bonding, fillings, porcelain veneers, tooth-colored restorations, orthodontics and more. An experienced and skilled cosmetic dentist can provide you with these potentially appearance changing procedures.
Those who choose esthetic dental procedures do so for various reasons. Sometimes it is to repair a defect like crooked teeth, treat an injury like a broken tooth, repair teeth from problems like cavities, or simply to improve the overall appearance of the teeth. Whatever the reason, the goal of cosmetic dentistry is to restore the patient’s natural and beautiful smile.
What Are Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures?
Common cosmetic dental procedures are performed to correct problems with teeth, such as discoloration and chipping. Cosmetic dentistry can also be used to change the overall shape of teeth, including removing gaps or making shorter teeth longer.
There have been many technological advancements to create natural-looking teeth with the use of tooth-colored dental materials. Along with offering a better look, these cosmetic dental treatments are also more durable. Cosmetic dentists can use many different technologies, such as lasers, to perform some procedures. Today, many dentists also use more conservative cosmetic dentistry techniques that aim at preserving as much of the natural tooth as possible.
Some of the most common cosmetic dental procedures include:
- Bonding – This process involves the dentist attaching, or “bonding,” materials directly to the tooth. This procedure can be used to close gaps or change tooth color. Bonding materials can include porcelains and composite resins, now made to replicate the look of the natural tooth in appearance, structure and function. Bonding is an excellent solution for chipped teeth and is a superior filling material over other materials, such as metals
- Dental Implants – This type of cosmetic dental procedures replaces the roots of lost teeth. The implant and a crown built on the implant will replace a missing tooth. A dental implant will look and act just like a natural tooth. Dental implants are a permanent service lasting many years, and are the optimum choice for replacing missing teeth
- Contouring and Reshaping - This procedure straightens and repairs crooked, chipped, cracked or overlapping teeth
- Veneers – During this procedure, ultra-thin coatings are placed over the front of the tooth to change its color or shape. Veneers can be used to correct unevenly spaced, oddly shaped, crooked, chipped or even discolored teeth
- Whitening and Bleaching – During a whitening procedure, whitening gel is applied to the teeth. In about an hour, teeth can be lightened up to ten shades
- Fillings (Resin) – Before, dentists used unsightly metals to replace tooth structure that was lost due to decay. Now, state-of-the-art plastic composite resins and porcelain materials are used. These materials mimic the look and function of natural teeth. They also bond directly to the remaining enamel and dentin, preserving more of the natural tooth. Cosmetic dentists can offer filling procedures with tooth-colored fillings that are light and match the patient’s teeth, minimizing their appearance
- Root Canals - During a root canal treatment, the inflamed pulp is removed and the inside of the tooth is carefully cleaned and disinfected to keep more damage from occurring. The tooth is filled and sealed with gutta-percha, then the tooth is restored to its natural look with a crown or filling. This added protection allows the tooth to continue functioning like any other tooth
If you are unsure what cosmetic dental procedure is right for you, be sure to have a dental exam. During the exam the dentist will take many factors into consideration, including your overall oral health, and recommend the best course of action for your specific smile.
Why Should I Choose Jacksonville Smile Center?
At Jacksonville Smile Center, we have a proven process. During your first visit, we will obtain important background information, including your medical history. You will also have time to get to know your doctor. During your exam, the doctor will be able to assess your current oral health and discuss any concerns you may have. Your initial oral examination will include a visual examination, periodontal probing, charting, diagnosis and treatment recommendations. During this time we will take x-rays, including the panoramic x-ray and bite-wing x-ray series. Both will help us determine if there is tooth decay in either the front or back of the mouth.
When you choose Jacksonville Smile Center you are more than just another patient. Rather, the caring team of dental professionals want to ensure you have a relaxing and satisfactory experience. We are able to offer a wide range of cosmetic dental procedures as well as great equipment and facilities benefits like:
- Digital X-rays
- Laser Cavity Detection
- IntraOral Photography
- ExtraOral Photography
- Paperless Office
Along with cosmetic dental procedures, Jacksonville Smile Center also offers products like Invisalign, Lumineers and Dentures.
At Jacksonville Smile Center, our team of caring professionals strive to make our office as comfortable, efficient and convenient as possible. When you have any type of dental problem, you should turn to a dentist who listens and responds. You should have an experienced doctor who knows the field and can effectively diagnose and treat your dental needs. When you choose Jacksonville Smile Center you will find a friendly dentist who counsels you on the most effective ways to maintain and improve your oral health. Along with a knowledgeable and experienced doctor, you will also benefit from a dedicated team of trained professionals who will give you the individualized attention you deserve. When you have a dental issue arise, do not wait! Call Jacksonville Smile Center today!