What Is Jacksonville Smile Center?
Jacksonville Smile Center is a full-service dental practice providing both clinical and cosmetic oral care. Dr. Rafal T. Marmur heads the practice with Dr. Matthew J. Henry his associate while their team of hygienists and dental assistants who help cover the details of patient care. Dr. Marmur began his training at Rutgers College and The University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. That training continued in the U.S Navy where he completed prestigious General Practice Residency and served in the United States Navy providing treatment to military personnel prior to starting his Jacksonville practice. Dr. Henry is a graduate of Florida State University and Baltimore College of Dental Surgery. From there he was accepted into the Air Force Advanced General Practice Residency where he received advanced training in surgical procedures and IV conscious sedation.
Jacksonville Smile Center offers clinical specialties and clinical dental procedures including:
- cleanings and checkups
- tooth extractions (wisdom teeth and adult molars and incisors)
- dentures (fitting and implanting)
If you have a question about a treatment not listed, please call the office at (904) 821-8330.
What Are Dentures?
Dentures are replacement teeth for missing teeth that can be taken out and put back into the mouth. Dentures actually satisfy both clinical and cosmetic dental needs. They allow people to continue chewing and to have the same winning smile they had in their younger years before tooth loss occurred. Dentures are also typically much less expensive than the more recent invention of dental implants.
Are There Different Types of Dentures?
There are two main types of dentures:
- Complete dentures – This type of denture replaces the entire set of teeth. Patients who receive complete dentures have lost most or all of their teeth, often either to age or injury. Also referred to as "conventional" or "immediate," complete dentures are inserted immediately after the removal of the remaining teeth
- Partial dentures – This type of denture is ideal for a person who has most of his or her natural teeth remaining. Dentures fill in the small spaces created by missing teeth. Removable partial dentures are attached to a patient's natural teeth by using metal clasps called precision attachments. Precision attachments are usually more aesthetically pleasing than metal clasps; in fact, they and are nearly invisible
Jacksonville Smiles Center offers partial dentures that are typically modeled to look like natural teeth with pink plastic bases to reflect a person's natural gums. The dentures are connected to a metal framework and attached using metals clasps.
What Should I Know When Considering Dentures?
Dentures require genuine care in order to keep them usable and safe. Some of the recommended tips for care are:
- Clean your dentures gently - Once Dr. Marmur fits you for dentures, scrub them every day using a soft-bristled toothbrush and a denture cleaner. Excessive scrubbing can damage the set's components, so be gentle
- Soak your dentures overnight - Denture users usually soak their dentures in water or a dentist-recommended solution
- Have any repairs done professionally - Not unlike natural teeth, your dentures will eventually need to be serviced. As with teeth, proper care requires the expertise of a professional dentist. “Do-it-yourself” denture maintenance is highly discouraged
- Yes, you still need to brush - Finally, even if you have a full set of dentures covering both upper and lower rows of teeth, you need to practice daily oral care, much as when you had your natural teeth. In order to avoid problems such as irritation and infection, brush your gums, tongue and palate. Brushing your mouth removes bacteria and stimulates blood flow to the soft tissues in your mouth.
These are some of the concerns you should think about and discuss with your dentist.
What Are Dental Implants?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is surgically placed into the jaw to hold a replacement tooth or bridge. A denture implant improves a person's ability to chew, speak, and support their facial muscles. While dentures are still widely used and are the ideal choice for many people, dental implants are another option many people use. The Jacksonville Smile Center provides patients with excellent implant treatment in place of dentures. Implants are synthetic structures placed near the root of the tooth. They are anchored to the jawbone or metal framework on the bone and act as a foundation for an artificial tooth or permanent bridge.
Are Dentures or Dental Implants Better?
Both dentures and dental implants have their pros and cons. Some reasons you may choose implants instead of dentures include:
- Implants are often permanent - This eliminates the hassle of removing them nightly as with dentures.
- Implants do not slide - Thanks to being connected to a strong foundation in the mouth, implants are more like real teeth. By being more strongly fixed to the mouth, chewing is easier and more comfortable than dentures.
- Dentures are known to interfere with a person’s ability to speak - The stationary nature of dental implants eliminates this problem
However, there are some drawbacks to implants and reasons for choosing dentures instead. They include:
- Cost - Implants are considerably more expensive than dentures
- Investment of time - While many people who have dentures or their natural teeth may skip the scheduled dental visit, it is imperative that implant recipients keep up with their visits
- Inability to take implants - Some people are unable to have implants because of medical conditions such as a lack of bone, inability to graft bone or constant tooth grinding
When choosing dentures or dental implants, it is imperative that you speak with an experienced and knowledgeable cosmetic dentist like Dr. Marmur. The team at Jacksonville Smile Center is here to make you feel relaxed and comfortable while we take care of all your dental needs.
What Other Dentistry Services Can Jacksonville Smile Center Offer Me?
Along with standard dentistry, Dr. Marmur/Dr Henry or dentists and his staff can provide patients with the following cosmetic dental care:
- Teeth Whitening - Whitening may be required for people whose teeth have lost their gleam for a number of reasons; among these are age, tobacco use and drinking large amounts of coffee or tea over the course of several years.
- Teeth Bleaching Office Treatment: The Jacksonville Smile Center provides Power Bleaching that whitens in less than one and a half hours.
- Take home treatment: Jacksonville Smile Center offers home bleaching system you take with you; results usually take place in two weeks. A hybrid of the two both systems for optimal, long-term results is also available.
- Clinical Dentistry - Patients will also receive standard clinical dental treatment, which can often work in tandem with the cosmetic benefits of professional dental care. Some of Jacksonville Smiles Center basic clinical services include:
- Periodontal Treatment: People should have a standard dental check-up and cleaning at least semi-annually. Periodontics includes basic cleaning. If your cleaning is periodontal cleaning is overdue, you may need additional treatment such as Periodontal Scaling or both Root Planning and Scaling; Scaling typically requires anaesthetic.
- Fillings: Even those who are zealous in their personal oral care can experience tooth decay. Jacksonville Smile Center provides gentle, excellent treatment of cavities and offers tooth-coloured fillings; this is almost always preferred to the traditional gold and silver fillings which are much more obvious.
Some clinical treatment can be done without any major in-office operation at all, such is the case with a patient with an abscessed tooth. An abscessed tooth is a deposit of puss, usually due to some degree of infection. The infection spreads from the root of the tooth to the surrounding tissue. Often an abscessed tooth can be treated with antibiotics.
I Have Not Been to the Dentist for Years. What Should I Expect When I Visit Jacksonville Smile Center?
During your first visit to Jacksonville Smile Center, the staff will verify your important background information. The information that the office staff will need is:
- Your personal and family Dental and medical history
- Dental insurance and preferred method of payment
- Ad hoc questions that either you or the staff may have based on your personal dental background
We will also make your experience as comfortable and relaxing as possible!